Hiking in Julian Alps is 7-day walking and hiking holiday adventure in dazzling set of mountain peaks, glacial lakes and Alpine meadows. Five one-day hiking tours take you along mountain paths, through ancient woodlands and mountain pastures in Slovenia’s biggest national park. You’ll wander above the deepest caves in the World and drive on highest Slovenian road. On the two-day hiking adventure you’ll be overwhelmed by natural sites, rich world of plants and animals, sleep in a mountain hut and be challenged to climb the top of Slovenia. You’ll be based in Bovec, where locally typical delicacies await your bites.
- Day 1: Self guided Soča trail tour takes you walking from Zadnja Trenta valley to Bovec basin. Outdoor adventure from the most beautiful spring in Slovenia – Soča spring (990m) follows emerald Soča river and it’s gorges along Trenta valley. On the exit from Triglav National Park it connects on Alpe Adria trail and finally Bovec trail, which brings you to Bovec town (434 m). Apart from short section secured with ropes, you’ll walk mostly flat, with some short uphills and downhills on forest paths, along exuberant meadows and green forests. Trail quite often crosses lovely footbridges over Soča and Koritnica rivers and ads historic Ravelnik open space museum walk at the end. Distances: 25 km / 6 – 8 h.
- Day 2: You’ll walk from Hut in lovely Lepena (700m) valley on forest paths through Polog and descend to Krn lake Hut. Have a break and try aromatic sheep cheese. Later on continue hiking along sheep pastures on Dupljek, accompanied by frizzy sheep, to stunning glacial Krn Lakes (1391m). The largest lake is 300m wide, 150 long and reaches 18m in depth. Here you’ll be surrounded by peaks of Mt Krn (2244m), Mt Lemež (2035m) and Mt Velika Baba (2013m). Once satisfied with their aesthetics, you’ll hike towards Bohinj mountains, to reach World War II ruins, close to Bogatin pass. After you’ll return to Lepena valley. Distances: Ascend 800 m / 5 – 6 h return.
- Day 3: Third day of hiking in Julian Alps holiday adventures begins with scenic drive through Koritnica valley to the highest lying road in Slovenia – the Mangart pass road (2072m). Here you’ll hop in hiking shoes and head for the easiest way to climb Mt Mangart (2677m) – The Italian trail. Picturesque trail lays on breathtaking, over 1000 m vertical rock wall – the Mangart north face on the border of Slovenia with Italy and is secured with ropes where aid is needed. All the way the landscape views are only limited by horizon, however on the Mt Mangart summit – the 3rd tallest Slovenian mountain, you’ll capture Fusine lakes, Carinthia mountains and Eastern Julian Alps. You’ll return the same way, jet stop for local specialty »krafi« at Mangart hut. Distances: Ascend 605 m / 4 – 5 h return.
- Day 4: Your Triglav National Park hiking adventure takes you to exhilarating Lepoč valley. Uphill forest trail passes little falls of Beladovec creek, continues through lush forest and flattens on Trebiški dol. Later on you’ll reach Lepoč pasture (1900m), placed between impressive Špičje ridge on your right and Velika Glava and Konj on left. Here you’ll have a break. Onward you’ll walk pass old hunter’s cabin, where it’s most likely to see agile mountain ibexes on the Mt Zadnjiški Ozebnik (2083m) mountainside. Then you’ll reach Čez Dol pass (1632m), where you’ll descend on the trail leading through dwarf pines to Zadnica valley. All along you’ll enjoy sights of majestic Kriški podi – wall with the biggest vertical difference in Julian Alps. In Zadnjica valley you’ll admire typical Trenta house – traditional Trenta-style wooden roof houses. Distances: Ascend 1012 m / 5 – 7 h.
- Day 5: The highlight of your Julian Alps hiking holidays is Mt Triglav hiking adventure – the highest summit of Slovenia. The first part starts early in the morning with hiking through Krma valley (930m) and later on across grassy and rocky slopes all the way up to Kredarica Mt Hut (2515m). Once reached, you’ll have a chance to relax and enjoy a warm mountain meal. You’ll sleep in the Triglav hut. Distances: Ascend 1581 m / 6 h
- Day 6: On the second day you’ll climb Mt Triglav summit along the via ferata from Kredarica lodge, over Mali Triglav, to Mt Triglav summit (2864m). Triglav – the three heads mountain and symbol of Slovenia is considered as one of the mighty mountains with marvelous views. On a clear and sunny day, one can see far across the Julian Alps, all the way to Grossglockner on the northwest and to the Adriatic Sea on the south. You’ll return the same way. Distances: Ascend 349 m / Descend 1934 m / 8 h.
- Day 7: 10 km long Kanin massif is Bovec town’s guardian. You’ll reach the highest Slovenian ski resort with a panoramic gondola ride (cable car) to Kanin – Sella Nevea ski resort (2202m). Your hiking adventure begins on Podi, where short rocky trail secured with aids leads past natural Mt Prestreljenik window. Trail leads over mountainside of Mt Hudi Vršič (2474m) to ridge, where spectacular views bring Italian Val Resia, Mt Montaž (Jof di Montasio 2,752m) and Mt Viš (Jof Fuart 2666m) at hand. Further on you’ll walk over Kanin notch and finalize the ascend to Mt Visoki Kanin summit (Monte Canin Alto 2587m). You’ll be hiking in the land of limestone and it’s karstic phenomenon, furthermore walking among chasms and above the deepest caves in the World. Distances: Ascend 385 m / 5 h walking / 2 h gondola ride.
Hiking in Julian Alps is the selection of the most fantastic hiking experiences in Slovenian mountains. Every day of hiking adventures requires only fuel refill, as all other aspects of your well being will be fully charged. Therefor we recommend doing so with mouthwatering local cuisine. Our favorite dish is »čompe s skuto«, potatoes with cottage cheese and grilled marble trout. We’re always happy to help choosing your next favorite restaurant in Soča valley.